Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Sober Week

Some make this clear for me: what defines alcoholism? For the last month I've created a habit of going to a bar almost everyday of the week, especially after work. (I work in customer service, I need a beer afterwards...) Would one consider that alcoholism? Even the tiniest bit? Ok, to be fair, the last two months in Budapest before I moved back to Finland are a haze cuz Erik and I got drunk pretty much every single day, so my situation does not compare to that. At all. Shall I just call it a work-related activity, as I REALLY need to wind down and complain about the nuisances, the bitches, the wiseguys, and the nutcases I have to deal with on a daily basis. (I work 3-7 days a week, between 25 and 55 hours a week...)

It's not that I worry about becoming an alcoholic. I don't. There are no instances of alcoholism in my family used, so by genealogy alone, I should be fine. It's just, Finland is not the country you wanna go for a drink every day, less so with my wages. Let's see: 1 beer = 3.50 euros to 6 euros, and you can never have just one, can you?

That times seven equals a lot of money. (2 Schools of Beer Mathematics: 1. You start thinking how much money you've spent on drink, and all the wonderful things you could've bought with that money. 2. You start counting the cost of things in the amount of beers you could've bought with that money...) This spending of money has led my girlfriend and I to spend a Sober week this week. Time will tell how long that lasts, as yesterday, monday, day one of Sober Week, after work, I was craving a beer and my girlfriend had the same primal urge for a Crowmoor Cider... Keep your fingers crossed for us, and if you're at a bar this week, drinking, have one for us, won't you? =)

No comments: